Showing our husbands respect in our society today is a pretty odd concept. The world tries to down play this very important attitude in the heart of a wife. In fact, if a wife is known as being respectful toward her husband, the world bashes her by labeling her weak-minded. I say this is complete nonsense, not to mention a lie from the Enemy. If Satan can stir up in your heart to be disrespectful toward your man, then the by-product would be a husband who wouldn’t want to spend much time with you. I don’t think you want that, right? I know I don’t.
When I first married Eric I didn’t know what respecting him looked like. Seeing how my Lord commanded me to do this in my marriage, I figured this was a concept I needed to learn and take seriously!
And let the wife see that she respects her husband. Ephesians 5:33
Over the course of my marriage, I eventually learned what respecting him looks like and now I’d like to pass along this information to you to help you in your pursuit of respecting your guy!
9 Ways to Show Your Husband Respect
1. Be kind and supportive toward him. Simple, right?
2. Continue to build him up rather than tear him down. You’ll create a lot of peace in your home by doing this.
3. Publically praise him.
4. Invest in him and continue to grow your friendship. Ask him about his day. Take up a hobby with him.
5. Continue to be lovers. Try your hardest to not let your physical intimacy fall by the wayside due to hurt feelings, exhaustion, or hectic schedules.
6. Put more effort into your role as a wife, than your role as a mom. It took me awhile to shift gears from being ‘mom’ all day and then being a ‘wife’ when my husband came home. But shifting gears is imperative to keep the marital relationship thriving since my husband never feels respected by me when I treat him like a child.
7. It’s easy for any wife to nag, condemn and criticize her husband- it’s our human nature! When you feel the tendency to speak like this, instead, do the opposite. Speak loving, encouraging, and uplifting words into his life. If you can’t do this, then just bite your tongue. Many times I have to bite my tongue!
8. Forgive him like Christ has forgiven you. Always keep this biblical perspective at the forefront of your marriage.
9. Make it your aim to be the woman in his life that is his biggest cheerleader!
Respecting my husband is a choice I make, it’s a matter of me surrendering my will to being obedient to the Scriptures rather than my feelings or the ways of this world. This is not always a choice that is easiest to make when my emotions are running high, but after years of investing in my husband by respecting him, I have reaped some wonderful benefits, and I want you to reap those benefits in your marriage!
Now it’s your turn. What can you add to this list? What other ways can you show your husband respect? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Live a poured out life for Christ,
How important is your marriage to you? Do you just want to survive in it or do you want your marriage to thrive? If you’ve said yes to having a thriving marriage, then join me for some mentoring in your marriage!
You can do so in our private, virtual mentoring community. Just click the image below to find out more! It’s just $3.99 a month, which is a whole lot cheaper than marriage counseling! And the first month is FREE!